Education » Green Dot
Now, imagine that map being a map of Warren County and that those red dots represent power based personal violence (dating violence, sexual violence, bullying, and stalking). A red dot is the choice, action, words, or behavior that tolerates or contributes to violence in any way. A red hot is the tiny moment is takes to hit your partner. A red dot is that tiny moment it takes to threaten someone or have sex without that person’s consent. We don’t know exactly how many red dots there are in the community but we know there are enough to sustain a culture that supports violence.
- 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 6 boys will experience some type of sexual violence in their lifetime.
- 47.7% of Kentucky women and 19.6% of men reported having some type of sexual violence in their lifetime.
- 1 in 5 girls report being abused by a boyfriend in high school
Now, imagine that map of red dots has tiny green dots popping up over them. Green Dots are the choices, attitudes, behaviors, and words it takes to create an intolerance of violence and creates a safer community. A green dot is getting a friend out of a high risk situation. A green dot is telling that person what they are doing is not okay. A green dot is inviting green dot to come speak to your work, church group, etc. If no one does anything, nothing changes and those numbers stay the same. But if each of us does two or three green dots, we will start to see a safer community and lower the number of people being hurt by power based personal violence.
A Green Dot can be one of the Three D’s:
Direct: Confront a potential red dot situation to help prevent violence
- “Is everything okay?”
- “Rape jokes aren’t funny.”
- “Can I help?”
Distract: Create a distraction to help diffuse the situation
- Show a funny video on your phone
- Ask for directions
- Start talking loudly on your cell phone while acting like someone called you.
Delegate: Get someone else to help out
- Store Clerk
- Whoever you feel comfortable with
Proactive Green Dots Doing something before any red situation happens.
- Putting up a Green Dot sticker in your window
- Wear Green Dot gear
- Talking about Green Dot to your family and friends
- Having Green Dot come speak to your organization, school, church, work, etc.